Made at Marton brickworks, Capesthorne House Estate, Cheshire. W B D is the estate owner William Bromley Davenport
These WC imprinted bricks are at Auckland Castle, Bishop Auckland, Co Durham. They are used in the walled garden to line flues that heated 18C green houses. Photo by Stephen Eastmead.
Origin not known - Carbrook is situated in the east end of
Sheffield. Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Joseph A Wade, Hornsea Bridge, Hornsea, Hull. Found North Lincs. by Frank Lawson.
Made in Sheffield, photo by A.K.A.Demik
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
J.J. Wagstaff, Eastwood, Rochford, Essex is listed in Kellys 1899 to 1910 editions. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
Frank Lawson writes: Made by Andrew Wain's Brickworks, Mill Lane, Heather, Ashby de la Zouch.
Photos by Martyn Fretwell.
Martyn Fretwell writes: Information from Kelly's Trade
Directories. Andrew Wain (red), Mill Lane Works, Heather, Ashby de
la Zouch 1881, 1891. Then listed as Andrew Wain (exors. of the
late), Mill Lane Works, Heather, Ashby de la Zouch in the 1895, 99
& 1900 editions. Then Wains, Heather, Ashby de la Zouch 1908,
12 & 16. Then it became Heather Brick, Terra Cotta &
Wain's Co. (Henry J. Ford proprietor), Heather, Ashby de la Zouch,
1925 & 28 editions.
Walbottle Coal & Firebrick Co., Newburn, Newcastle upon Tyne
The brickworks, situated by the Percy Pit at Newburn, would later be associated with the red-shale 'Newburn' brand building brick, but its early production was the staple firebrick, examples of which still litter the former location to this day! Info by Arthur Brickman.
Photo by Mark Cranston.
Derek Barker writes: By accident I recently stumbled on the works that produced these bricks in Milkwell Lane, Corbridge. Walkers apparently opened in the nineteenth century and closed in 1914. Today the site contains two beautiful bottle-kilns, the remains of Newcastle kilns and the remains of two down-draught kilns extensively vitrified, in addition to chimneys and ancillary buildings. Products such as housebricks, firebricks, tiles and sanitary tubes still litter the surrounding area. The bottle-kilns are grade II* listed structures and scheduled ancient monuments meaning that legally nothing must be removed from the site.
In Kelly's this company is Ist recorded as Walker & Smith, Belle View, Halesowen in it's 1870 & 72 editions. Then in the 1876 edition just as William Walker, Belle View, Halesowen same as this brick. The 1884 edition now lists William Walker at Shelton, Halesowen & is followed in the 1888 & 92 editions as William Walker & Co. (blue & red), Shelton Brickworks, Halesowen. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
William Walker is listed at Pannal in Kelly 1881 and at Oatlands Brickworks in Slater 1887. Henry J Walker is listed at Oatlands in 1893 and 1897 and at Spofforth Haggs in 1901 and 1904. info and image PRBCO. David Gamble adds: Oatlands Brickworks operated from 1867 to 1920 on a site in Hookstone Road now occupied by Oatlands Infants School and public playing fields
John Walker owned the Oaks Farm Brickworks at Kingswinford in 1849. I have another reference to Chance & Co owning the same works also in 1849, so who came first I do not know, but the works was later taken over by Mobberley & Perry & they are recorded as still producing fire clay bricks there in 1982. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
John Walker, Linthwaite, Huddersfield - Found in Linthwaite. Photo courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Not to be confused with the J W bricks found around Leeds - Jabez Woolley - this brick J W with wide, bold initials, was most likely made by John Walker and John Walker (exors of) at Linthwaite, Huddersfield, listed in Kelly, West Riding, 1881 to 1912. Found near Milnsbridge, with other identical examples seen at Farnley Tyas and Deighton - all in the Huddersfield area. Info and image PRBCO.
Found at Marsden. Photo by Chris Shaw.
Silecroft lies on the Cumbrian coast 4km NW of Millom. Image PRBCO.
Made in the Team Valley near Gateshead.
Front and back views shown. John Walker's brickworks was just off High Street in the Brownhills area of Tunstall & he is listed in Kelly's 1876 edition as J. Walker & Co, Brownhills, Burslem. Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
This was a family run yard at the side of the Chesterfield Canal, thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo. The two bricks above were made by Cocking & Sons at their Walkeringham brickworks. The Cocking family later went on to open a new brickworks in Doncaster.
Martyn Fretwell writes :- During my research I have found that there were four brick yards/works in this village. The Walkeringham Brick Works consisted of 3 yards, one yard was owned by Thomas Cocking & then by his sons/son-in-law from 1876 to 1940. The chimney & remains of some of the buildings still stand at this yard. The other two yards which where on opposite banks of the Chesterfield Canal were first owned by John Cowling in 1853, then by his son William in 1861 & then after William's early death in 1871 aged 35 by his wife Maria. In 1880 Maria sold the old & new yards as two lots, one is thought to have been Charles Hill who is listed in Kelly's 1881 to 1891 editions & the other to F.M. Cousins. The Hill's yard had closed by 1946 but who had worked this yard until then is unknown & the Cousin's yard was last recorded on a 1900 OS map. The Fountain Hill Brick Works may have been owned by Aaron Cooper & he is listed in Kelly's 1876 to 1885 editions as brickmaker at Walkeringham. Who followed Aaron Cooper at this works is unknown & the works is last shown on a 1900 OS map.
John Junior Walley is recorded as a brickmaker at Normanton, Derby in Kelly's 1891 edition. Info & Photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.
In 1924 T. E. Walley Ltd. purchased the brick and tile works of John Nash Peake in Cemetery Road, Silverdale which were run as Rosemary Hill Tileries. G.H. Downing & Co. Ltd. bought the business in 1975 but this only lasted until 1981 when the works was sold to Steetley and then closed, with production transferred to Knutton. Photo and information by David Kitching.
Found near Oakamoor by Frank Lawson. Walley & Alsop, Knutton Tileries, Silverdale, Staffs. Kelly's Staffordshire Directory 1916. Found Oakamoor Staffs. Photo & Info by Frank Lawson.
The Wall Grange brick and tile co. was situated in the Park Lane area of Wall Grange near Longsdon, Leek, Staffordshire. The yard was in operation from around 1890 until the 1950s. Thanks to Ken Perkins for the photos and history. Also: Wall Grange Brick Co ( 1930 ) Ltd , Wall Grange, Cheddleton, Staffs, in Kelly Staffs 1932 & 1940. Info by Philip Rothery.
Walsall Wood Colliery was sunk in1874 on a site close to the Daw End Canal just north of Coppice Road. A brickworks was established just to the north of the pit and a canal basin was constructed for brick traffic. There was a very large circular kiln (presumably continuous) with central chimney. The Earl of Bradford as mineral owner was paid a royalty of 1/- per 1000 bricks manufactured. The works is shown on the OS maps from just after the First World War but the site had been cleared by 1938. Photo and information by David Kitching.
Found near Seaton Sluice, Northumberland by Dave Ashford.
Walton Quarry & Brick Co.Ltd. Walton Sidings, Entwistle,
Bolton. Found in Entwistle thanks to Frank Lawson.
Richard Davies writes: I am told that Warbreck Hill Brick Works was on Warbreck Hill Road, Blackpool, Lanc's where Unity College is now (Previously Warbreck High) SD318382. I found the brick on some land off Staining Old Road at SD346372.
Thanks to John Pease for the contribution. John writes: these are found at various sites in East Leeds. They were probably made by William Ward of Clark Lane, Leeds who are listed in directories of the 1890's.
E. Ward is listed at St. Peter's Hill, Stamford in Kellys 1868 edition & this will have been his home or office address with it being in the centre of Stamford. A brickworks is shown on the later 1885 map situated off Casterton Road & this may have been his works. Thomas Turner is recorded at this works in 1889 & 1896 followed by Towers & Williamson in 1905 & 1909. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.
Wards Improved, photo by Mark Cranston.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Found near Rotherham by Bob Gellatly.
Jeremiah Warner appears in trade directories at Trent Vale, Staffordshire, manufacturing blue bricks and tiles, from 1867 - 1880. Various members of the Warner family are listed at Trent Vale previous to that, starting in 1835.
J Warner, Mickleover, Derby. Kelly's Derbyshire Directory 1912. Photo courtesy of Derby Museums. Info by frank Lawson.
Spotted in Brighton by Simon Patterson, made by the Sussex and Dorking United Brick Company, Horsham. Now part of Redland Bricks.
Additional info and photo by Martyn Fretwell: Warnham Brickworks, Horsham, Sussex. Still in production today. it is now part of the Wienerberger Group, which includes Baggeridge Bricks. The Group operates 229 plants in 27 countries.
Photo by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.
Simon Patterson photographed this one at Avoncroft Museum
This works at Berry Hill, Fenton, first appears in 1889-90 and is
last listed in 1912 as Henry Warrington & Son. Henry
Warrington, 1838-1907, was born at Cheadle, left school in 1851 to
work for William Bowers at Berry Hill and succeeded Bowers in
operating the colliery and associated brickworks on his death in
1880. There was also an iron works at Berry Hill, but the forges
closed circa 1900. Warrington employed 1000 men, farmed 400 acres
and lived at Fenton Manor House. He shot himself on the 2nd March
1907. Henry Warrington & Son seems to have been the name of
the business from c1896. Info by David Kitching.
Photo by John Pease who took it in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. It is quite possible that the brick arrived there as ships ballast.
Found in Longport, Stoke-on-Trent by David Kitching.
Photos by David Kitching.
Started by James Washbourne at Cockshutts Lane, Wolverhampton, this works is listed in Kelly's 1908 & 12 editions. Ernest Washbourne is next listed at the works in the 1916 edition, followed in the 1921 & 28 editions by William Ernest Washborne. The Company is next listed in Kelly's 1932 edition at nearby Parkfield Road as W.E. Washbourne & Co. Premier Brickworks, Parkfield Road, Wolverhampton. In the 1936 & 1940 editions the Works is listed as Washbourne & Co & when the Company went into Liquidation on 5th April 1940 it was owned by Charles Oliver & Sidney Rawlings. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Washington, County Durham.
A typical North East colliery common brick, produced at the
Washington 'F' Pit, and used in the main for the building of
internal walls. The 'new' brickworks was started in the late
1920's and lasted until 1970, this example probably dating to the
post-nationalisation period. Today, the site is an open green
space at the heart of the New Town, but the original colliery
winding house remains, and is open on occasion, housing a display
of local mining memorabilia. Info by Arthur Brickman.
The Wasp Nest Brick Company was situated in the Ashgate area on the west side of Chesterfield. Malcolm Adlington adds: An ancestor of mine was Master Brickmaker at Wasp Nest, Brampton, Chesterfield. I believe the works opened in around 1838.
Photographed by Simon Patterson.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, found near
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection
Photo by courtesy of Colin Driver.
Recovered from the Ferrybridge Pottery in Yorkshire by Alan Tomlinson.
Frank Waters is listed in Kelly's 1879 edition at Grafton House, Causeway, Cambridge. Info and photo by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo and information by David Kitching.
Photo and information by David Kitching.
Photo by Alwyn Sparrow.
John Watkinson produced firebricks at his works at Nether Loads near Chesterfield between 1850 & 1870. John is recorded in Kelly's 1864 edition as J. Watkinson, Nether Loads, Brampton, Chesterfield. Info & photographed at Chesterfield Museum by Martyn Fretwell.
Watnall Colliery, Notts. was sunk in 1873 by Barber Walker & Co. of Eastwood who owned several other collieries in Notts, Derbys & South Yorks. An associated brickworks is shown next to the colliery on the 1875 map. In 1923 the brickworks consisted of two 18 chambered Manchester type kilns & by 1934 two Staffordshire type kilns had been added resulting in the works producing 16 million bricks per year. These bricks were made from the clay shale mined at the colliery. Both the colliery & brickworks were Nationalised in 1947. The colliery closed in 1950, but with vast stocks of clay & coal being stock piled, the brickworks remained operational until 1975. The buildings were then demolished, but the four chimney's where left standing. These iconic chimney's stood alongside the M1 until 2009 & as a result of people removing bricks from their bases they were deemed to be unsafe & were duly demolished. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell. Photos of chimneys on Photo Gallery page
H W Watson, Colt Park, Ebchester, Co.Durham. H.W.Watson is recorded as being the owner of Hamsterley Colliery from around 1860 until around 1910 when it became the property of The Hamsterley Colliery Co. The colliery produced both coal & fireclay. Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
George Watson of Alfred Street, Ripley is recorded in Kelly's Directory for 1888. Photo & info by Martyn Fretwell
Watson brothers: Henry, George & John Albert of the Langsett Brickworks, near Sheffield are recorded in Kelly's Directory in 1893. Photo & Info Martyn Fretwell.
Watts & Sons, Newmarket, Road, Cambridge are listed in Kelly's 1896, 1904 & 1916 editions. The company is also recorded in a 1923 article held at the National Archives in Cambridge. A 1900 OS map of the Newmarket Road area of Cambridge at Barnwell Junction shows seven brickworks in operation & today this vast area is covered mainly in retail parks & industrial units. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
Made in the Horsham area and now part of Redland Bricks, thanks to Richard Symonds.
Photo by Martyn Fretwell, found in Dungeness, Kent.
Weald Made. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo by Richard Symonds.
Photo by Martyn Fretwell
Photo by Dave Crewe.
In the 1911 trade directory Webber and Stedham, Market Street and Newton Road. In 1929 the company was wound up voluntary and sold to Western Counties Brick Company Limited. Photo and info by Steve Bladon.
Thanks to Amanda Slater for the use of the photos.
Found in Sheffield by Michaela. Webster & Co (Sheffield)
Ltd., Marriott Wood Brick Works, Archer Road, Sheffield.
Kelly's Sheffield Directory 1923/1935. Info by Frank Lawson.
Photo by David Kitching.
Welbeck Brickworks was originally owned by the New Hucknall & Blackwell Collieries Limited. and was located at the side of the colliery. The works was supplied by the colliery with clay shale, coal as well as electricity, steam and water. Brick making commenced at Welbeck in 1926/7 using a Hoffmann 20 chamber type kiln which produced 4,600 bricks per hour. A second 18 chamber Hoffmann kiln was added in 1934 & production rose to 12 million bricks per year. In 1947 the colliery and brickworks became part of N.C.B. By 1967/68 the works was producing 10.4 million bricks a year. It was in this year that ownership was transferred to the Midland Brick Company. The brickworks finally passed out of the control of the N.C.B. in 1973 with its assets being sold to Butterley Building Materials Limited who closed it in 1975. Information by mark Smith and photo by Nigel Mack.
The listing for this works is Weldon & Corby Brickworks, J.Pain, Managing Director, Corby in Kellys 1903 edition. Then in Kellys 1906, 10 & 14 editions it is the Weldon & Corby Patent Brick Co. Ltd., Corby. Info & Photos by Martyn Fretwell.
Photos by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.
George believes this was the trademark for the South Benwell Brickworks near Newcastle on Tyne.
Found on Crosby beach, Merseyside by Colin Driver.
The Mitcheldean Stone and Brick Works (M W. Colchester Wemyss with J. Miller Carr as manager) were opened in 1882. At its peak, the works employed some 70 people who, besides producing building-stone and bricks (facing and moulded), made urns, bowls, tiles, drain-pipes, flower pots, garden vases, rustic stumps, pitchers, and architectural and fine art terra-cotta. There were three kilns, each capable of holding 65,000 bricks. In 1900 the Wilderness Brick and Stone Co Ltd (Mitcheldean) was acquired by the Forest of Dean Stone Firms Ltd. The works closed c1907. Photo and information by David Kitching.
Found by Frank Lawson in the bed of the River Wear near Sunderland.
The West Cannock Colliery Company leased the mines and clay from the Marquis of Anglesey. The royalty on bricks was 2/6d per 1000. The brickworks was adjacent to the No.1 colliery which commmenced operations in 1869. Bricks were produced only for the company's use and were never sold outside. By the 1920's production was only undertaken if outside sources were more expensive than the home made bricks. The plant comprised: A Wooton Brothers brick making machine capable of producing 28,000 common bricks per week. A Lancashire boiler which powered a single cylinder steam engine for the brick making machine. Two square kilns of 28,000 and 25,000 brick capacity. In 1928 the plant produced 422,993 bricks but in 1930 it was only 43,000 bricks and the plant then closed. Photo and information by David Kitching.
West End Park Co, Pannal, Harrogate list in Post Office Directory of 1877, info and image PRBCO.
The brickworks associated with this colliery was situated a short distance from the pit, next to the Nutbrook Canal & had been built on the site of the former West Hallam Iron Works. The colliery was operational by 1893 & the brickworks is shown on the 1900 OS map. The brickworks may have closed by 1912 as it is not shown on the 1913 map. Info & Photographed at Erewash Museum, Ilkeston by Martyn Fretwell.
West Hartlepool Patent Brick Company Ltd. Photo by Neil Ramsden.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Photo by Simon Patterson.
Ian Castledine photographed this one in the ruins of an engine house in Flockton, Yorkshire.
Firebrick made at West Hunwick Colliery near Durham. Photo and info by Solway Past.
This special 'Hunnex' silica brick was developed in the 1950s by especially for use in Open Hearth furnace crowns. It describes the brick as being low alumina, low porosity with low permeability to gases. 'West Hunwick' was bought by J T Price in 1961 and as the merged company, Price-Pearson, was bought by J&J Dyson in 1968.Part of the Dyson Group (Dyson Technical Ceramics) including the West Hunwick works has now been sold to a US company for £3.2m on 3rd July 2017. Photo and info by Mark Cranston.
Made by Hill, Westlake Works, Drakewalls, nr Chilsworthy SX418719. Photo by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.
Thomas Westlake, Bealeswood Brickworks, Gunnislake SX418719. Photo by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.
Weston Coyney is east of Longton in North Staffordshire. Weston Coyney Tilery seems to have been the first business on the site situated just to the east of the woodland known as The Sprink. It was already working in 1853. This was followed by Weston Coyney Brick and Marl Co. This company first appears in the trade directories in 1888 and was still working in 1928 but does not appear subsequently. In 1919 the company was paying Walter Weston Coyney £25 per annum rental on the land and premises.
Nigel Furniss found this rarity near Northampton and writes: There is known to have been a brickworks here at Buttocks Booth near Northampton in 1835. Disused by 1883 and laid dormant until shortly after WW1, when A. Glenn & Son opened the works here under the name W F B & T Co. Closed in 1941, very little is known about the works except that it had a narrow gauge tramway in the clay pit. Old maps of the area show the works in 1924 and 1938.
Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Photo by A.K.A. Demik
Next page: English bricks page 22a: Wh to Wi