"Old Bricks - history at your feet"
English bricks - page 5, Letter: C
John Caddick & Son Ltd.
John Caddick & Son Ltd., Spoutfield Tileries, Brick Kiln Lane, Hartshill, Stoke. Kelly's Staffordshire Directory 1888 - 1940. Originally operating as Wheatley and Caddick operating at the Spoutfield Tileries. The partnership was dissolved on 25th March 1886 when Samuel William Wheatley retired. The business was carried on by John Caddick on his own account. It was incorporated as private limited company 29th July 1909. John Caddick-Adams was the managing director of John Caddick & Son until its closure in the 1980's. Horseshoe was its trade mark. Information by Frank Lawson.
J Caddick & Co, Bloxwich
Joseph Caddick & Co. are listed in Kelly 1876 edition at Sneyd
Lane, Bloxwich, Walsall. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
A company in Newark, Nottinghamshire, whose history may be read here.
Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo
Made by Cafferata & Co. of Newark, Notts. From the Phil
Sparham collection, photo by Frank Lawson.
R. Cail, Gateshead
One of Tyneside's most successful, if lesser known Victorian
entrepreneur's, Richard Cail rose to prominence as a contractor on
many of the regions early railways, having previously been
apprenticed to a Newcastle' builder. The secret to his success
would appear to have been control of the supplies to his various
businesses. As a Freeman of Newcastle' he was exempt from duty on
imported materials, owned quarries at Sunderland and operated
Gateshead's South Shore Brickworks. However, by the time of his
death in 1893 reference to his interests begins to wain, with the
Gateshead works having disappeared from the OS by 1898. Examples
of his bricks are therefore rather few and far
between, a testament to
his engineering skills in that many of the
structures he supervised are still extant. Photo and information
by Arthur Brickman.
Found at the burnt out remains of the House of Lords (sic) working
mens club in Barrow.
Tony Mugridge has this info: Cakemore was a Black Country
brickmaker who specialised in Staffordshire blue bricks and
pavers I have two in my collection - both pavers and Cakemore
bricks were used for much of the bridgework architecture on the
Grand Union Canal through South Staffordshire. More
information on the company on this
download, pages 14 to 17.
David Kitching adds: Cakemore brick works near Rowley Regis.
The South Staffordshire Blue Brick Co was registered on 28 October
1887, to take over the properties of the Cakemore Blue Brick Co.
This paving brick was seen on Charlotte Street in Birmingham.
A Cakemore blue paver brick found on an old green lane around
Towcester by Nigel Furniss.
C B B - Cakemore Blue Brick. Photo by David Kitching
Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection.
Patricio Larrambebere writes from Argentina: B.A.y R. represents Buenos
Aires and Rosario Railway, a railway company in Argentina of
Photographed at Cawarden Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Chris Thornburn
Found in the River Esk near Dalmore Mill, near Penicuik,
Midlothian by Ian Suddaby.
Calder Fireclay Co.
Calder Fireclay (E J W Waterhouse & Son) of Elland,
W.Yorks. Found at Carlton, Lofthouse, W.Yorks by Frank
Photo supplied by A.K.A. Demik. Tony Mugridge
writes: California Brick and Tile Works - Hollinswood (now
Telford) The works was demolished in the early 1970's and part
of Telford Town Centre occupies the site. The works produced red
stock bricks and roofing tiles and it is believed that this was
where the Blockley family had their works before they opened
their brickworks at Trench (Telford) in the 1890's, where
Blockley's Brick still operates (now part of Michelmersh
- Also see Thomas Bennett, Derby
This brick was made for/by Callender's Cable &
Construction Co. Ltd, Erith, London before 1945, when it
became British Insulated Callender's Cables (BICC in
1975) as a marker brick, to warn you
that electric cables are buried in the ground below.
Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Cambric & Cambridge
The Cambridge Brick Co. is listed in Kelly's 1892, 96, 1904 &
08 editions on Newmarket Road, Cambridge. Info &
photos by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo by Frank Lawson.
Camerton Coal and Firebrick Company, Greengill Colliery
brickworks, Camerton, Cumbria. Sited 6km ENE of Workington. Site
operated late 19th century to 1950s - Angus Glasgow. Image
This one is spelt Camrton, found by Malcolm Smith by the River
Canal Works, Stoke on Trent
A product of George Woolliscroft's Canal Tileries in
Etruria. Photo and info by David Kitching.
Believed to have been made by Candy Tiles in Heathfield, Newton
Abbot, thanks to Chris Williamson for the photo.
Canning & Co, Cambridge
No Info - Photos by Martyn Fretwell.
Cannock Chase Colliery Co.
The Cannock Chase Colliery Company produced bricks at various
sites until production was centralised in the 1920s to the west
of No.9 & 10 Collieries at Hednesford. The works was
developed to a capacity of 8 million bricks per annum in the
1930s but the average production in the 5 years ending in 1932
was only 5.75 million bricks. Under the NCB the works was
further expanded and c1974 was taken over by the Butterley Brick
Company. It has since been closed. Photo and information by
Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the John Baylis Collection.
Cannock & Rugeley Collieries
Cannock & Rugeley Collieries had extensive brickworks at
Wimblebury Colliery, Littleworth This was established in the 1870s
and was producing more than 1 million bricks a year in the 1930s,
mainly for use in the Company's own collieries. Production
continued into NCB ownership. Photo and information by David
Cannon St, Hanley
The Cannon Street Brick Company operated from its central
Hanley works during the last quarter of the nineteenth century
and early twentieth century. It appears in trade directories for
1912 but not 1921. Photos and information by David Kitching.
Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
The Clock House Brick Company Ltd was founded c.1933 to exploit a rich deposit of high-quality Weald Clay to the south of the Surrey village of Capel. The outbreak of war in 1939 was bad news for brickmaking, as housebuilding effectively ceased and the workforce was swallowed up by conscription. Although there was some demand for bricks to be used in military engineering projects, there was little use for the high-grade ceramic blocks made at Clock House. By 1941, the Company was in liquidation and sold the majority of its share capital to the London Brick Company (LBC) to avoid closing the works. In 1945, the Company was wound up for good and the works were acquired by the LBC. Under LBC, production was substantially increased to meet demand from the recovering housing market and in the 1960s the factory was rebuilt to accommodate more efficient production methods.
London Brick was acquired by Hanson PLC in 1984 the works was refitted shortly afterwards to produce multi stock bricks under the Butterley and Capel brand names. In 1998, Clockhouse Bricks were used by three major exhibitors in that year's Ideal Home Show and by 2000, Clock House was be Hanson’s main soft mud production site, making around 42 million bricks per year.
In March 2009, Hanson announced a 'phased closure programme' which began later that month and led to the loss of 61 jobs.
Photo by Guy Morgan.
Carbis China Clay & Brick Co Ltd SX001596. Photo by David
Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay
Carbofrax: see Carborundum Co Ltd
Carborundum Company Ltd
Carborundum Co. Ltd., Trafford Park Manchester.
An American Company which established a factory in Manchester 1913.
Abrasive, refractory and crucible materials.
Trade Names: Carbofrax; Alfrax; Carborundum Brand; Aloxite Brand. Photos and info by Mark Cranston.
English China Clay Sales
West of England Co.
Made at Carloggas Brickworks SW958551. Photos by David Kitching,
part of the collection at Wheal
Martyn China Clay Museum.
The Carleton Brick Co., Carleton, Pontefract is listed in Kelly
1897 / 1901. West Yorkshire. Image PRBCO.
still in business today, located near Barnsley, South
Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
John Carlyle is recorded at Oxford Street, Dudley in Kelly's 1860
edition, then in the 1870 & 72 editions at Kate's Hill,
Dudley, followed by the entries at Rowley Road, Dudley in the 1876
to 1888 editions. With me checking maps, I think that Rowley Road
was same works as Kate's Hill. Photo by Colin Wooldridge
from the John Cooksey Collection & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
This example was manufactured at Ralph Carnaby's Cornforth
Brickworks in Coxhoe, County Durham. The brickworks is shown on
Ordnance Survey mapping published in 1861 (surveyed 1857), but
is absent from the map of 1898. I haven't found many other
references to this brickworks, other than an article dated 1858
that describes Ralph Carnaby as an insolvent 'shipowner,
manufacturer of fire clay goods and bricks, common brick and
tile manufacturer, and general merchant'. However, Carnaby is
listed as an agent to the Hetton Colliery Company in a trade
directory for 1858, rather than a brick and tile manufacturer,
suggesting that he may have ceased producing bricks by that
date. With this in mind, I suspect that the brick dates to the
mid-nineteenth century. Photo and information by
Carr (William Henry)
William Henry Carr is listed as brickmaker at Leiston, Saxmundham,
Suffolk in Kellys 1888 edition to Kellys 1925 edition. The 1926
revised OS map no longer shows the works only the remains of the
clay pits. Carr owned two more brickworks, one was on Suffolk
Road, Ipswich & this works is listed in Kellys 1896 & 1900
editions. The other, Valley Brick Works, Foxhall Road, Ipswich is
listed in Kellys 1900 & 12 editions. The 1924 OS map no longer
shows the Valley Brick Works, but the Suffolk Road brickworks is
still shown. It is unknown if Carr still owned this works in 1924
as his last T.D. listing for Suffolk Road is 1900. Info &
Photos by Martyn Fretwell.
This brick came from a 1932 built house in
Felixstowe. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
Made by George Carr, listed at 3 addresses in Attercliffe Road
area of Sheffield between 1875 and 1904. Info and image
H Carr &
Found near Amble by John Jackson.
Cranston. John Carr & Sons, Low Lights, North Shields,
Northumberland. Kelly's Northumberland Directory 1894
The Low Lights Pottery was established in 1814 by Nicholas Bird.
In 1829 it passed to Cornfoot, Colville and Company (later
Cornfoot, Patton and Company). When Cornfoot retired and John Carr
became a partner, the name was changed to Carr and Patton, and
then Carr and Company. When the business became the property of
John Carr, he and his sons carried it on as John Carr and Sons.
When Carr took over the business at North Shields, John Patton
took over the Phoenix Pottery in the Ouseburn, Newcastle. Carr
made brown and black wares and ordinary wares. In 1856 these were
discontinued and replaced by ordinary white earthenwares printed,
lustred and painted. They were exported to the Mediterranean,
Egypt and the Far East. Carr also made terracotta vases and
articles for the building trade. The pottery was abandoned between
1890 and 1901 when the company concentrated on firebrick
manufacture. The last directory entry for the firm at 44 Low
Lights was in 1907-8. Info by Frank Lawson.
Front and back of a John Carr brick. These were used to
build the Percy, Warkworth and Alnwick Avenues in Whitley Bay
which were built on land sold in 1898 by Lord Algernon Percy, the
Duke of Northumberland.Photos and info by Sue Nicholson.
Made at Scotswood between 1828 and 1881 found in an exposed
culvert on the Lanchester Valley railway walk about 8 miles west
of Durham. Photo by Gordon Hull.
Photo by Michael Gibson.
Photographed at Cawarden Reclamation, Rugeley. David Carthy
is recorded at Brereton Road, Rugeley in Kelly's 1892 to 1900
editions. The Brereton Road works is then listed as being owned by
Carthy Brothers in the 1904 & 1908 editions. Photo & Info
by Martyn Fretwell.
William Henry Case is listed in Kellys 1892 edition at Rippon Hall Farm, Hevingham, Norwich. Kellys 1896 & 1904 editions record the partnership of William Henry Case & Thomas Goold at the Rippon Hall Farm brickworks. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo by Alwyn Sparrow
Cashmore & Son, Builders. Found near Leamington Spa by
Photographed at Cawarden Reclamation, Rugeley by Martyn Fretwell
Photo by David Kitching
Photos by Ray Martin. The Castle Brick Works was in Birchills,
Walsall, just off Upper Green Lane,
and first appears on the 1902 OS map with five rectangular kilns.
In 1924 it was operated by J Griffin, Jones and Company, and in
1940 it was the Castle Brick Co. The works seems to have closed
and been swallowed up in
extensions to the tube works by the early 1950s. Info by
Photo by Peter Harris.
Thanks to Simon Patterson for the above photo.
Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
It would appear that there were two different Castleford Brick
Companies. The manufacturer of this brick is listed 1897- 1912 and
the brick was used in the works of the Aberford Railway, which
principally shipped coal from the Garforth Collieries to a coal
depot at Aberford on the Great North Road. A later Castleford
Brick Company, with works at Glasshoughton, is listed as a
branch of the Yorkshire Brick Co., 1922 to 1965.
Catchpole & Co., Rotherham
Found near Rotherham by Bob Gellatly
Thanks to John Biggs for the photo, found in the remains of
Southmead Manor, Bristol.
Photo by Richard Paterson.
Photographed at Romsey Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.
C. C. P. Pocklington
Believed to have been made in Pocklington, near York at the
Burnby Lane works. Thanks to Andrew Boyce for the photo,
further info on the Pocklington brick industry can be read here.
Whittlesea was an important brick making area east of
Peterborough. The Central Brickworks Whittlesea was
acquired by the National Coal Board in 1966. It was sold
in 1973 to the London Brick Co by N. C. B. Ancillaries.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Photographed in Corris, Powys.
A brick stamp from the Cestrian Brick Co. Saltney, Chester.
CHADDS N, this brickworks is recorded at the end of Walpole
Street, just off Nottingham Road in Chaddesden, Derby on the 1901
Ordnance Survey map. Photo and info by Martyn Fretwell.
William Chadwick, Cricket (Inn) Road, Sheffield. White's
Sheffield Directory 1862. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank
Barker & Co.
Front and back shown. Chadwick Barker & Co., Totley
Moor, Sheffield. Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
George Chadwick & Co.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, made in Totley
near Sheffield and found in Baslow.
This is a modern brick made by Chailey in Sussex, now owned
by Ibstock. The company is 300 years old and a video showing the
history of the works and the production of clamp fired bricks can
be seen here:
http://www.ibstock.com/chailey/ Photo and info
by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo by Richard Symonds
Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, found at
Barkston near Grantham.
Chamber Colliery, Hollinwood
This brick was manufactured by the Chamber Colliery Limited, which
operated a coal mine in the Hollinwood area of Oldham from the
late 1850s. The company added a 16-chamber Hoffmann-type
continuous brick kiln to the colliery site during the 1880s. It is
uncertain when the company ceased manufacturing bricks, although
the kiln is marked 'disused' on the Ordnance Survey map of 1922.
The brick was discovered on the site of the brickworks during its
redevelopment. Photo and information by Ian Miller.
H & F Chamberlain, Dodworth Road, Barnsley. Photos by
courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Salvaged from a Victorian house at Green Hammerton, so a possible
maker could be John Chambers, Littlethorpe, Ripon or his successor
Mrs J Chambers & sons, listed in trade directories 1867 -
1881, info and image PRBCO
Chance & Co. operated the Oak Farm Fireclay Works,
Kingswinford, near Dudley in 1849. The fireclay works had been
part of the Oak Farm Iron-works which went into liquidation in
1849 & had been owned by William Gladstone (later Prime
Minister) & the Glynne family since 1835. Photo by Colin
Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection & Info by Martyn
George Chapman, Park Road, Barnsley. White's Sheffield
District Trades Directory 1879. Photo and info by Frank
Photo by Nigel Furniss.
Photo by Mark Cranston, Arthur Brickman adds: Chapman &
Morson, Crook Colliery, County Durham.
After Henry Chare had made his money producing
window blinds he purchased the Crown Brickworks at Bordesley
Green. This new venture did not last very long & after selling
the works to the newly formed Atlas & Crown Brick Co. in 1883
he returned to the furniture trade. Henry is listed in Kelly's
1876 edition at Upper Saltley & at Bordesley Green Road,
Saltley in the 1880, these two locations are the same works. Info
& Photographed at Four Oaks Reclamation Yard by Martyn
Photo courtesy of the the Chris Thorburn collection.
A Charlaw brick. The Charlaw and Sacriston Collieries Co.
Ltd ran mines in the Sacriston area of Co. Durham. See this website. and info by Andrew Gardner.
Charlestown Brick & Tile, Halifax
Found Claremount, Halifax, West Yorks. 2016. Charlestown
Brick & Tile Co. Ltd., Charlestown Road, Halifax, West
Yorks. Kelly,s West Riding Directory 1881: -
Charlestown Brick & Tile Co Limited (Frederick Buckley,
managing director) ; offices, Charlestown Rd, Halifax. Photo
and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Charlton & Co.
T. Charlton & Co owned a number of mines around Bitchburn.
This one was found near coke ovens at East Howle in County
Durham. Thanks to Paul Harman for the information and
Thanks to Darren Haywood for the contribution.
Chellaston near Derby
Photo supplied by A.K.A. Demik.
Chellaston Minerals, Derby produced bricks from 1928 to
1978. Originally the company quarried alabaster and when
good quality alabaster started to be in short supply, the company
turned to producing bricks as the clay which had been a waste
product was put to good use. Bricks were in great demand during
both World Wars, especially the Second as the company had to keep
a sufficient stock of bricks to rebuild Rolls Royce in case of
major damage by enemy bombs. Info and photo by Martyn Fretwell.
Brick from the Phil Sparham Collection.
Photo by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.
See also Battledown Brick Co Ld
Robert Chenery of Sturston near Diss,
Norfolk is listed in Whites 1883 & 1890 editions as brickmaker
at Victoria Road, Diss. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
The works became the Cherry Orchard brickworks possibly as
early as mid-1889, and it became Kenilworth's last brickworks,
closing in 1977. Date of this brick uncertain, but it came
from a building put up in the late 19th century. Thanks to
Robin Leach for the photo and info.
Robin writes: frustratingly, I have yet to find the
years that the works operated under this fuller title, nor did I
record where I got the brick from. The pit at the works
was in use as a tip even in pre WW1 days and since closure
became a full scale pit-filling operation. Today, with the pit
filled and grassed over, it is a 're-cycling centre' and all the
rubbish is taken from there to elsewhere.
Simon Patterson photographed this one at Avoncroft Museum
Photographed at Corris by Martyn Fretwell.
Front and back of a Cherry Orchard brick, the back showing their
London Address as 171, Queen Victoria Street. Photo by
Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the John Baylis Collection.
Cheshire Brick Co.
Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
The Cheshire Brick Co works was situated at Middlewood between
Hazel Grove and High Lane. Production began as the Middlewood
Brick Co in the 1920s and ended in the early 1960s. Photo
and info by David Kitching.
Photographed at Corris by Martyn Fretwell.
Brick Co. (Chester Le Street)
Photo by Mark Cranston. Arthur Brickman adds: Knowing the
find location, (within a stones throw of a number of post-war
Council built estates here on Tyneside), I suspect this is the
Chester Brick Company, (as in Chester-le-Street), Plawsworth, Co.
Durham, established in 1953. A calcium-silicate brick, formed by
mixing various grades of sand with hydrated lime, before adding
colouring dyes and baking in an autoclave - I believe this shade
was known as 'Cumberland Stone'.
Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson
Collection at Southwick Hall.
There are two options for the maker of this brick. First, John
Fison Wiseman is listed in Kelly's 1875 & 79 editions at the
Chilton Brickworks, Chilton, Sudbury. The second is Edward Charles
Gibbons who listed in Kelly's 1900 edition & then the entry
for the works is Mrs. Mary Price Gibbons in Kelly's 1912 & 16
editions. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
John Albert Chinchen is listed at the Gravel Hill
Brickworks, Canford Magna, Wimborne in Kelly's 1889 to 1903
editions. The next entries in the 1907 to 1920 editions lists John
at Beecroft, Church Road, Broadstone, Wimborne. Today the former
Gravel Hill Brickworks site located next to the A349 is covered in
trees & forms part of Delph Wood. Photo & Info by
Isaac Chippendale & Son
The works was at Scholes, some 8Km north east of Leeds and
operated from 1880 to c1930, info and image by Sue Wright.
Found in East Keswick near Leeds by David Soulsby.
J. Christy, New Writtle Street & Broomfield, Chelmsford is listed
as brickmaker in Kellys 1855 edition. The entry in Kellys 1862 & 1867 editions is J. Christy & Son,
Brownings, Broomfield & at New Writtle Street, Chelmsford. The 1871 entry is for Fell Christy (son), New Writtle Street & at Broomfield, Chelmsford. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Churwell - (A Rodgers)
Churwell Brick Co., Leeds. Site operated by Fitton Bros. in
1904, as Churwell Brick Company 1938 and by A. Rodgers in 1956.
Site cleared c2000. Image PRBCO.
Made at Chytane Brickworks, near Summercourt SW913561. Photo by
David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay