"Old Bricks - history at your feet"
English bricks - page 9, Letter: G
G B M & S: see George
Backhouse Marshall & Sons
G C R: see George Clarke, Rishton
G C Q C L: Grays Chalk Quarries Co.
G G D: see G G Dalton
G Pd Rd or G P D: see Grampound
G R: see George Rixon
G V & B: see G Vint & Bros
G W R: see Great Western Railway
J H G: see Gosling
M G: see Mark Gentry
W G: see William Gunton
W J G: see W J Greenwood
The Gabriel's brickworks was on Hoe Lane, Enfield Wash, London
& specialised in red hand made bricks from the early 1930's to
1976. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
Gadbury brickworks, on the south side of Wigan Road from Gibfield
Colliery, was named after the old Gadbury Fold Farm nearby. It was
established by Fletcher Burrows and Co, owners of Atherton
Collieries around 1914. The works closed around 1964 shortly after
the colliery finished working. Photos and info by David
Charles Corden of 21, Wilford Street, Nottingham carrying on
the business at Gallows Inn Brickworks, Ilkeston as brick
& tile maker filed for liquidation on 24th May 1880 at
Nottingham Crown Court. His brickworks is recorded on an 1884 map
showing it was north of Nottingham Road between the River Erewash
& the Erewash Canal, with the Gallows Inn public house to the
south. This area of Ilkeston is so called after its association with
the site of the towns gallows. Photo & Info by Martyn
You would have thought that the die maker would have spelt the name
of one of the principals
correctly, but in one of these bricks Gardiner has become
Gardener. In 1870 William Hammond went into
partnership with his brother-in-law Robert Gardiner to work
fireclay in Pott Shrigley and they established their brickworks on
the north side of the Bakestonedale road opposite that of George
Lambert. 1875 saw Mr Lawrence Gardiner succeeded his brother in the
business. He died in 1886 and Mr Hammond took over the works
entirely, so these firebricks must date from 1870-1886. Photos
and info by David Kitching
Thanks to Darren Haywood for the contribution.
Found in the Clayton area of east Manchester by Ian Miller.
Photo by courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.
Three West Yorkshire products from the same company. Photos by
courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Photographed in a property in Thornhill, West Yorkshire by James
J Garlick, Upper Saltley
Found at North Shropshire Recycling yard by Martyn Fretwell. Made in
Birmingham. Martyn adds: John Garlick is recorded as living at Shaw
Hill House, Upper Saltley in 1881, with his clay pits &
brickworks nearby. He used his depot at Worcester Wharf on the
Birmingham & Worcester Canal to transport his bricks via the
canal network. He also owned another brickworks in California using
the Dudley No.2 Canal. John employed around 700 men at his
brickworks before his business went bankrupt in 1884.
Photographed at Four Oaks Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.
& Son, Derby
Joseph Gascoyne & Son is recorded in Whites Directory for 1857
as Builders, Brick & Tile Makers at 22, St Peters Street
(Offices) & Uttoxeter Old Road (Works). Photo & Info by
Brick & Stone
A little known concern to myself, this brick of the Gateshead Brick
& Stone Company, was recovered during internal alterations to a
local property, built c.1880. Davison (Brickworks of the North East,
1986) mentions them is passing, with a date of 1925 - this usually
refers to a directory entry. The only other reference I've been able
to find is from 1955 and a notice of the Company's liquidation. As
to their location, or whether they actually manufactured their own
products, (it has to be said of very poor quality), or acted as a
factor or agent, more work is obviously required. As an aside, the
facing bricks of the property in question are a fine off-white and
were produced at Axwell Park Colliery (APC) - could this be a
subsidiary used to market these heavily 'grogged' bricks and the
stone by-product of mining operations? Photo and info by
Gault bricks are a type of brick mainly made in Suffolk & Kent
& I have found that maker Plowman Brothers of Gamlingay near
Sandy are listed as producing Gault bricks in Kelly's 1904
Cambridgeshire edition, so they could be the makers of this brick.
Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.
Martyn Fretwell writes :- Mark Gentry is listed as the owner of the
Sible Hedingham Brick & Tile Works, Sible Hedingham, Halstead,
Essex in Kelly's 1894, 1902 & 1914 editions. His bricks were
used to build the 'Five Star' Mayfair Hotel in London & where
produced at his two brickworks. The Langthorne Works was on
Wethersfield Road & the Highfields Works was near Purls Hill.
Photos by Alwyn Sparrow. Front and side of a Mark Gentry
brick. Martyn Fretwell believes that S M is the brickmakers
initials and they were made for the LMS Railway.
Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
Backhouse Marshall & sons
Found in Garforth, West Yorkshire. This expertly and boldly
lettered brick was made by George Backhouse Marshall & Sons,
Church Garforth, listed as masons, builders and brickmakers in
White's Clothing District directory, 1875. Image PRBCO.
George Rixon is mentioned in the Northamptonshire archives in
1862 as supplying drainpipes from Moulton Kilns.
There was a brick works on the northern side of Moulton, near
Northampton, first operated by a G. Rixon, then by a succession of
owners until 1901. Photo and info by Nigel Furniss.
Photographed at Cadeby Reclamation yard by Martyn Fretwell who
writes: I have just found in Kelly's 1891, a E. Gent,
brickmaker, Donisthorpe, Ashby de la Zouch. Is the brick misspelt or
the Trade Directory ? The brick was photographed not to far from
G. Skey/ Geo Skey - see Skey
Gibbons (Dudley) Ltd, No. 1 Fireclay, thanks to Ken Perkins for
Spotted on the beach at Crosby, Merseyside
Photo taken in Ewenny by Richard Paterson.
Martyn Fretwell writes :- From the Fireclay listings in
Kelly's, B. Gibbons, Jnr. is listed at Waddams Pool & Lower
Gornal in it's 1896 edition & then from 1921 to it's 1940
edition as Gibbons (Dudley) Ltd, Dibdale Works, Dudley. Then
in Kelly's Brick & Tile listings the entry is B. Gibbons
Jnr. & Co. Deepdale Works, Lower Gonal, Dudley, 1860 to 1912
editions. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey
Photographed at the Black Country Living Museum by Martyn
Kelly's 1869 edition records Edward Gibbons at the Wolsey
Street works, Ipswich & the Alexandra brickyard in Chilton,
Suffolk. Then the 1875 edition records Edward Gibbons & Edward
Charles Gibbons at the two works. Kelly's 1879 sees the addition
of a third works at Aldham, Hadleigh. Then the 1888 to 1900
editions just lists Edward Charles Gibbons & owning five works
including Chilton. The 1912 & 1916 editions now records Mrs.
Mary Price Gibbons as the owner of the Chilton works. The other
works previously owned by E.C. Gibbons are no longer listed. Photo
& Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Report from the London Gazette dated 31st January 1911, that the
partnership of William John Gibbs, Alfred Rendell Gibbs &
Horace Rendell Gibbs, known as Gibbs Brothers, Brick & Tile
Manufacturers & Building Merchants of Loughborough has been
dissolved. 31st January 1911. Any debts due or owing by the said
late firm will be received by William & Horace Gibbs, who are
to carry on the same business under the same name of Gibbs
Brothers. Photos and info by Martyn Fretwell.
Gibbs & Canning, Tamworth
Photo by Mike Stokes
Photo by Ray Martin
Gibson, Scotswood on Tyne
Photo taken at Beamish museum.
G. Gilbert is listed in Kellys 1849 & 1850 editions at King
Street (residence), Walsall. Also found three more brickmakers with
the surname of Gilbert in these directories & I expect they were
related. Elias & John where at Greenhill, Litchfield &
William is listed as making blue bricks at Dudley Port &
Tividale, Dudley. Info & Photographed at Four Oaks Reclamation
Yard by Martyn Fretwell.
With photographing this brick at Ludlow Resource Centre I expect W.
Gilbert was a local maker. I have found that there where four
brickworks in Ludlow, two where next door to one another on Fishmore
Road & the other two where either side of the railway line next
to the towns railway station. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell
courtesy of Shropshire Museums.
The Gildenburgh Brick Co. is listed in Kelly's 1906 & 1910
editions at 52, Narrow Bridge Street, Peterborough, (office). The
works was situated on New Road in Whittlesey & was owned by LBC
when it closed in 1945. Today the clay pit which has filled with
water & in places is 70 ft. deep is the Gildenburgh Dive Centre.
Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
Photos courtesy of the Bill Richardson collection at Southwick Hall
by Martyn Fretwell.
Probably: - Gillhead Co Ltd, Flimby, Cumberland. Frank Lawson
writes: I can find no reference to a Gillhead Co Ltd. but have
found the following -
The Post Office Directory of Cumberland & Westmorland 1873: -
Firebrick Manufacturers, Mrs Mary Lucock, Gillhead, Flimby &
Broughton Moor, Maryport.
Kelly's Directory of Cumberland 1894: - Firebrick Manufacturers:
Cumberland Coal & Brick Syndicate Ltd., Graves Road, Gill Head,
Flimby, Maryport. Found by David Ashford in Maryport..
The reverse of this brick is lightly stamped Stanton & T.
Gillott is recorded as brickmaker in Stanton By Dale, Derby in
Kelly's 1855 edition. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Could have been made by William Hall who is listed as brickmaker
at Gilt Hill, Kimberley in Kelly's 1885 edition. Another option is
nearby Digby Colliery Brickworks which was also known locally as
Giltbrook Colliery, but bricks found so far made by this colliery
have been stamped Digby. I have given this second option because
this brick is in the collection of pit bricks at Pleasley Mining
Museum. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Found near Blisworth by Nigel Furniss.
Thanks to John Biggs for the photo. John understands the
works was on the Wells road and is now the site of St. Dunstands
Glebe see Fenton Collieries
Glenfield Premier Leicester
Photo by Martyn Fretwell, found in Sutton in Ashfield.
Globe, Garrison Lane
With this brick saying Late Bond, it seems to infer that John
Bond, it's owner has passed away, but I have now found out that
John Bond sold his Globe Brick Works to a newly formed consortium
of local businessmen around 1875, who then named their new company
the Globe Brick Co. Hence the Late Bond on the brick referring to
the Works being previously owned by John Bond. Bond continued to
run his two other brickworks until 1905. The Globe Brick Co.
consortium included Edward Townley, W.R. Willis, Walter Dauncey
& R.C. Wright & at a later date A.H. & F. S.
Stephenson. The Globe Brick Co. on Garrison Lane is recorded in
Kelly's 1878 edition with Walter Dauncey as Manager, then in 1879
to 1890 editions Walter Dauncey is recorded as Manager/Partner.
From 1892 to 1915 editions we then find Albert Henry Stevenson
listed as Manager. The Globe Brickworks closed in 1931. Info &
Photographed at North Shropshire Reclamation Yard by Martyn
Photographed at Four Oaks Rec. Yard by Martyn Fretwell.
Found near New Hey, Lancs by Frank Lawson - Glodwick is a suburb
of Oldham and is in the vicinity of the Lowside brickworks.
Found on Besom Hill near Oldham,itself a site of several
brickworks at one time. Photo by Colin Driver.
Made in Glossop, Derbyshire
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Spotted in Riddings, Derbyshire by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Thanks to Darren Haywood for the photo.
Found in Darley Bridge, Derbyshire by Simon Patterson.
The Hanford brickworks of Sarah Glover operated from at least 1851
until 1871 and it appears from this brick that her daughter Emily
Shelly Glover took over at some point after that date. Emily married
William Adams Peake and by 1881 he was running the works in his name
as the Hanford Tileries. Photo and info by David Kitching.
Frank Glover operated a brickworks behind Ryehill Farm in Miles Green, Audley, Staffordshire. He is recorded as a brick maker from 1865 until 1886 and is only listed in the trade directories between 1876 and 1884. The brickworks was on land owned by Daniel Booth. In 1881 Glover is recorded as a farmer of 14 acres and brick maker living at Queen Street which is just to the west of the brickworks. Photo by Ken Perkins.
The Goldendale Brick & Tile Co, Tunstall, is only listed in the 1904 Kelly's directory and the works had a short life. Photo and information by David Kitching.
George Goodall is listed in Kelly's 1878 & 1883 editions
as brickmaker at Anthony Road, Upper Saltley, Birmingham. Info &
Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Chris Thorburn Collection.
Gooddy: see entry for Darfield Clay Works
Francis Harry Gordon opened his brickworks in the 1870s, on a
site with a 30ft thick bed of clay, adjacent to the Daw End Canal
just south-west of Clayhanger Bridge at Brownhills. The buildings
included three drying sheds, the largest
measuring 150ft x 30ft and had a cast iron plated floor. Nearby
and on the other side of the canal was the Walsall Wood Colliery
brickworks and price cutting by this works led to the demise of
the Gordon business in 1896. Photo and information by David
Found in Station Road, Killamarsh by Malcolm Adlington.
Found near Alfreton by Frank Lawson.
John Hall Gosling is recorded as
owning collieries in the Chesterfield & Barlborough areas in
the mid 19th century. He is recorded in Kelly's from
1864 to 1881 & then in the Barlborough P.O. Directory for
Kelly's 1887 & 1891 editions he is followed by
Fredrick Gosling as brickmaker at Barlborough, possibly his
son or brother. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell from the Phil
Gough & Sames, Garrison Lane
Photo by Ray Martin, made in Birmingham.
Wiliam Gradwell was a major building contractor in
Barrow-in-Furness. In 1855 he moved his business to Hindpool,
Barrow, and set up a brickworks in Dalton Road capable of turning
out 75,000 bricks a week. Photo and info by David Kitching.
Found in Barrow in Furness by Richard Cornish.
J. Graham & Co., Blaydon Haugh, Gateshead, Co. Durham A
business situated in close proximity to the more famous William
Harriman at Blaydon Haugh, the firm of John Graham & Co.
appears only once in local directories around 1875. The origins of
the company therefore remain obscure, although William's niece
would appear to have married a Graham, so maybe there is a
connection through marriage? Information provided by
"Scottish Brick History". Photo by Frank Lawson.
All made at Grampound Road Brick & Tile Co 2 SW916512 &
SW920514. Photos by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay
Made in Haslingden, Lancashire by the Grane
Brick & Terracota Works. Photo by courtesy of the
Frank Lawson collection.
Photo by David Kitching.
Photo by courtesy of Colin Driver.
Henry Graves, Gillhead Brickworks, Flimby, Cumbria. In 1867 a
colliery was sunk at Gill Head, Flimby by Messrs Lucock &
Carlton to produce coal, fireclay and gannister. The Whitehaven News
for 18th January 1872 carries an advert "Gillhead Colliery and
Brickworks for sale, apply Mrs. Lucock, Broughton Moor". Again, in
January 1876, "FOR SALE by private treaty; Gillhead Colliery and
Brickworks near Flimby, in use by representatives of the late Mr.
Joseph Lucock". In 1878 a partnership between Mary Lucock and Henry
Graves, as Coal Owners and Brick and Tile Manufacturers, at Gill
Head, in the parish of Flimby, was dissolved with Henry Graves
continuing the business in his own name. The business became the
Gillhead Coal & Firebrick Co. in 1897. Photo and info by David
Operating around 1875 Gray & Son's works was on Newmarket Road,
Cambridge. Info and photo by Martyn Fretwell.
Chalk Quarries, Grays, Essex
Grays Chalk & Quarries Co. Limited, Grays, Essex
are listed as brickmakers in Kellys 1874 to 1910 editions. Photo
& Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Great Fire is one of a collection of 50 British fire bricks found
in the St Petersburg area by Vladimir N Smirnov. His British
collection may be viewed here, the text is
A Great Western Railway brick.
Photo by Simon Patterson who spotted it in Slapton, Devon.
Photo taken by Jo Roesen at Broadway station Worcs, read their blog here.
Great Western Railway/Southern Railway. Photo by Phil Jenkins.
George Green is listed as brickmaker at Mapperley, Nottingham in
White's 1864 Notts. edition. Info & Photographed in Awsworth
by Frank Lawson.
Photo by John Pease.
Found at Spofforth Haggs, North Yorkshire. Joseph William Green is
listed in directories from 1871 to 1927 and it appears that the
principal brick works was at Roecliffe near Boroughbridge. Other
sites listed are at Aldborough, Pilmoor, Stonefall, Moor Monkton and
Langthorpe. Image PRBCO.
Green & Brough
Found by George in Co. Durham.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
The Greengate Brick and Tile Co., also owned Greengate Colliery at
St Helens. Later the brickworks passed to Pilkington's. It was
situated close to the railway on land at the rear of the current
Pilkington's Greengate factory. Photo and info by David
Greenhill Brickworks near Chilsworthy SX420717. Photo by David
Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.
Rand Sherwell Greenough, Brick manufacturer, Builder & Corn
& Coal Merchant, Northampton. A large complex of workings
to the east of Kingsthorpe Road, around Freehold Street has been in
existence at least from 1847, with at least one kiln. By 1883 there
were at least nine kilns with a multiplicity of owners and at least
two owners here. In 1866 John Clarke was advertising the making of
bricks by 'steam'. In 1877 John Wills was also advertising a 'steam
brickworks', (see entry for WILLS ). In 1894 Greenough and Henry
Martin were the owners, until Martin's place being taken by A. J.
Chown by 1910. Shortly after this date the works closed. Photo and
info by Nigel Furniss.
Made in West Sussex, photo by Alan Davies.
Both found in Penistone, Yorkshire by Frank Lawson.
William James Greenwood, Westend House, Woodhouse, Sheffield.
White's Sheffield & Rotherham Directory
1879/1901/1905/1908. The brickworks was situated on Bishop
Hill (off Sheffield Road), Woodhouse. Photo and info by courtesy of
the Frank Lawson collection.
Probably made at the Sarn works. Photo by Mike Shaw.
Photo by Darrell Prest. In the 1881 Kelly's Directory of
Halifax the executors of 'George Greenwood' are brick-making at
New Bank. By the time of the 1908 Trade Directory there is George
Greenwood & Sons, Builders Merchants, of New Brunswick Street,
Halifax. This company came to own: Beacon Hill Brick Works
(formerly Oates & Green) and Swan Bank colliery and
brickworks, together with several quarries. They were still active
in the mid-1930s. Thanks to Derek Barker for the
Found near Guiseley by Frank Lawson.
Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo. Michael Hammett
has supplied some info on this brick: This was more than likely
made by J. Gregory & Sons Ltd, Ecclesall brickworks,
Ecclesall road, Sheffield, Yorkshire - I have no record of exact
period during which this firm was in operation, but it was
established by 1877 and was closed by 1943.
photo courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection.
Found by Bill Sheppard in his garden in Sheffield
Correct spelling is Griffydam and it's in Leicestershire, only
reference is that there was a brickworks in the village. Photo
by Martyn Fretwell.
Found by Malcolm Smith on the Camerton Brickworks site near
Also refer to the entry for Nottingham Patent Brick Co.
Edward Gripper had established a brickworks in 1855 at Mapperley
Top, Nottingham & then in 1867 he was joined by William Burgess,
creating the Nottingham Patent Brick Co. This new company used the
Hoffman Kiln process which Edward Gripper and his managers had
previously negotiated the local use of before Burgess joined
the company. This process substantially increased the
companies brick output to 27 million per year and in his honour
bricks were produced with Gripper's name on. NPBC went on to produce
the millions of facing bricks for St. Pancras Station in London, for
which they were the main contractor. Photo & Info by Martyn
This example of a Gripper brick was made by the Nottingham Patent
Brick Co. in recognition of Edward's hard work for the company. The
other example shown was produced at Gripper's own works between 1855
& 1867. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell. Courtesy of
Nottingham City Museums & Galleries.
Both found in Whitby by Simon Patterson.
Found on the moors near Danby by Anne Bell
John Grover a Kent builder purchased the Hammer Vale Brickworks,
Hampshire around 1900. Both blue clay ( for tiles ) and yellow
clay ( for bricks ) was found on this site. His bricks were used
to rebuild the slums in East London and such was the demand for
his machine made bricks, that when the clay ran out in 1938,
production was moved to the Nutbourne Brickworks, Hambledon,
Surrey. Photo and info by Martyn Fretwell. Also see the
entry for Hammer.
Photo by Martyn Fretwell. Edmund Grundy,Larkhill
Brickworks,Farnworth, info by Colin Driver.
J Guest, West Bromwich
Photo by Ray Martin.
This brick celebrating 60 years of the Guild of Bricklayers was
made by Hanson's/Butterley at Ripley & was presented to each
of the Guild's members who attended their 1992 AGM. The
history & workings of the Guild can be read at this link. http://www.guildofbricklayers.org.uk/guild-of-bricklayers.html
Info & Photographed at Bursledon Brick Museum by Martyn
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
This brick and tile works, with an adjacent quarry, was located
south of New Scarborough, Guiseley, West Yorks between 1893-1938.
Although today the area is recognised as Yeadon brickworks SSSI,
in 1938 it was called Guiseley brickworks. I feel quite sure that
a single site has had two names. The Yeadon brickworks and quarry
were owned by the Marshall family. In a 1908 Kelly's Directory the
owners are given as Marshall & Gray Ltd. In addition to the
[GUISELEY BRICKWORKS] mark that is illustrated above the company
also used [M.MARSHALL][GUISELEY] and also [M&G].
Information by Derek Barker.
William Gunton is listed in Kelly's 1896 & 1904 editions at
Barney, Dereham & then together with his brother George at
several works around Norwich in Kelly's 1896 to 1912 editions. Photo
& Info by Martyn Fretwell.
English bricks, page 10, Letter H