|Grid Reference||SJ 963884|
|Date of visit||29 December 2003|
The remarkable bank of kilns at Marple has, sadly, been changed almost out of recognition and it is now hard to imagine what they must have been like in their heyday. Built by Samuel Oldknow the first kiln was in production late in 1797, a second in 1798 and further two in the next two years. They were supplied with limestone by canal from Bugsworth and coal from Disley and small pits around Marple.
Nathaniel Wright who also worked the Poynton Collieries operated the kilns from 1811 and later they passed through a number of hands until J & M Tymm took over prior to 1876 and on amalgamation went into Buxton Lime Firms control until closure soon after 1902.
The design was unusual with a 'gothic' flavour and dwellings for the workforce above the tunnels through which the burnt lime was taken to carts and boats for distribution. Each kiln was 36 ft deep and 13½ ft diameter at the top, widening to 14½ ft at the centre and then down to 3½ ft at the bottom. It is thought that the output in 1800 was around 8,300 tons of burnt lime.
Back to Cheshire limekilns index
© David Kitching 2003
Page last updated 29.12.2003