|Location||Red Bull, Church Lawton|
|Grid Reference||SJ 832547|
It is uncertain where the lime was sourced for the kilns at Red Bull although the late date of the Macclesfield Canal might suggest that the original supplies came from North Staffordshire via the Caldon Canal.
The kilns, adjacent to the Trent and Mersey Canal by the aqueduct of the Macclesfield Canal, appear to have been abandoned before 1900.
|The kilns were situated behind the trees on the left by the towpath||25" Ordnance Survey map of 1908|
|Thomas Kinnersly was the founder of the Birchenwood Ironworks in 1833 and had inherited a range of industrial concerns, including a number of collieries,and the family bank at Newcastle-under-Lyne from his father Thomas senior. His limeworks supplied lime to farms and estates as far away as Eaton near Congleton. His kilns were situated at Hardingswood, just below the top lock on the offside.|
Back to Cheshire limekilns index
© David Kitching 2011
Page last updated 24.9.2011