Location Charlestown
County Cornwall
Grid Reference SX 0376 5171
Date of visit 13 April 2013


 
 
 
 
 
The three Upper Charlestown kilns developed over a number of years, the first being in use by 1794 and in 1796 21,000 bushels of lime were produced. A second kiln was built in 1801 and a third pot was added by 1825. The kilns continued in use into the 20th century and it is believed tha the last load of stone was burnt in 1925. Today the kilns are incorporated into a number of craft shops, including one that uses a draw tunnel as a display area.

Back to Cornish limekilns index


© David Kitching 2015

Page last updated 13.4.2015