|Location||Wardhall Limeworks, Plumbland|
|Grid Reference||NY 12463 39476|
|Date of visit||27 June 2016|
This impressive bank of four massive kilns were supplied with stone via a railway incline from a quarry some distance away. The limeworks was leased by the Gilcrux Colliery Company before 1852 and in the 1870s wasoperated by the Solway Haematite Iron Company of Maryport. The railway siding connection was out of use by 1898 and the works was probably closed by then.
More photos on Graham Brooks' website: http://www.solwaypast.co.uk/index.php/structures-in-stone/7-limekilns/35-wardhall
|© David Kitching 2017||
Page last updated 29.7.2017