Location Newquay
County Devon
Grid Reference SX 45420 69611
Date of images 22 April 2015

The two New Quay kilns were tenanted from 1822 by Gilbert Northey, who constructed a water powered inclined plane to draw materials to the kiln tops over the winter of 1825-26 at a cost of £300. It drew water from a leat taken off the Tavistock Canal, primarily for the George & Charlotte Mine and later serving Gawton & Bedford Consols Mines further downriver. It had a stone ramp leading to a timber trestle viaduct onto the kiln top and storage area. In 1850, the kiln was rebuilt and heightened and the incline's angle changed to a steeper one of wholly stone construction. The haulage arrangements were modified; a reverse-haulage system being installed to continue the incline beyond the water wheel onto a raised railway system on high stone walls dividing three great bunkers behind the kiln. Timber turntables turned wagons from the incline head to pass along the rear of the bunkers, while further turntables allowed trucks to run out along their dividing walls. A further turntable at the incline foot turned to serve a line along the riverside wharf, mirroring those at Morwellham and Tavistock.
 
Back to Devon limekilns index
 
© David Kitching 2016
Page last updated 22.6.2016