Beaumont Quay Kiln 5th January 2008 - Photograph © Joseph Tierney
Built by a Mr Sewell in 1869-70 this kiln is unusual in having an underground circulating chamber around the outside of the bowl structure. This comprises a passage 1.9m wide and 2.2m high in which lime could be stored dry before shipping from the quay. The kiln and adjacent store and quay are now a Scheduled Ancient Monument. This is the only complete limekiln that has survived in Essex.
Thanks to Joseph Tierney for information and photograph.
© David Kitching 2013
Page last updated 27.12.2013