Location Low Alwinton
County Northumberland
Grid Reference NT 925056


© Copyright Andrew Curtis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
 
© Copyright Andy Gryce and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
 
Postcard view showing the kiln, sent in 1923 - courtesy of Michael Fordy
 
This limekiln on the side of the bridleway that runs south-east from Low Alwinton, was built about 1827 by the Selby family to supply lime to the Biddlestone estate but ceased working in 1866 because of high operating costs and competition from big commercial kilns. The kilnn was restored by the Northumberland National Park Authority.
 
Back to Northumberland limekilns index
 
© David Kitching 2017
Page last updated 12.4.2017