Location South Landing, Steepholm Island
County Somerset
Grid Reference ST 23124 60559


© Copyright Richard M Clarke
 
© Copyright Richard M Clarke
 

This kiln appears to be active on the 1886 OS map and is shown as an old kiln on that for 1903. It is thought to have supplied mortar and limewash for the War Department building programme on the island in the 1870s - part of the Palmerston follies. There is some sign of quarrying on the nearby cliffs and coal fragments were found on the track - no doubt brought in by boat from South Wales.  The pot has been filled in - it acted as a terminus for an incline railway. The kiln is in good condition with some maintenance work having been done  by the Kenneth Allsop Trust Memorial Trust, who own the island. Thanks to Richard M Clarke for this information

 
Back to Somerset limekilns index
 
© David Kitching 2019

Page last updated 20.5.2019