Location Pant-y-pydew Kilns, Holywell Common
County Flintshire
Grid Reference SJ 185731
Date of visit 21 March 2004


 
A fine block of five kilns stands adjacent to a large working quarry. The stone here was worked in the first half of the nineteenth century byJohn Lloyd and by 1862 it was operating as Lloyd Jones & Co.

 
There is a large bank of lime waste in front of the kilns. Lime from here was used in the building of docks in Liverpool, Birkenhead and Belfast between 1860 and 1890.

 
These are large commercial kilns designed for high outputs

 

 
It appears that the bank of kilns was extended twice. Production ended in 1914 and the face of one kiln has now collapsed whilst its neighbour shows signs of having been robbed of stone..

Back to Flintshire limekilns index


© David Kitching 2004

Page last updated 28.3.2004