Location Aberthaw
County Vale of Glamorgan
Grid Reference ST 03818 66120
Date of visit 26 July 2008

The Aberthaw limekilns were built in 1888 to burn blue lias limestone pebbles collected from the foreshore. The original works comprised two pots each with a diameter of 18ft and a capacity of 300 tons. The daily combined output was 40 tons of burned lime. After 1900 a pair of large oval pot draw kilns was added at the rear. The kilns were abandoned in 1926.

For further details of the history of these kilns see:

'The Aberthaw Pebble Limekilns' by Malcolm Brown, published in Archive, No. 46, June 2005

Aberthaw limekilns 1912 courtesy of Glamorgan Records Office  
 
 
Back to Welsh limekilns index
 
© David Kitching 2017
Page last updated 14.8.2017