|Grid Reference||SJ 94558 29071|
|Date of visit||18 April 2010|
The Sandon limekiln stands just below the Trent and Mersey Canal at Sandon and is owned by the Harrowby Estate. It was erected c1793 and may have also been used for calcining flints that were subsequently ground up in the adjacent watermill. It is thought to have been abandoned between 1850 and 1860.
This kiln has been subject to excavation and partial restoration by members of the Staffordshire Industrial Archaeology Society. Their website contains images and details of the project.
|© David Kitching 2017||
Page last updated 4.9.2017