The abundance of limestone at Caldon Low in North Staffordshire
led to the development of a major quarrying industry in the area. Transport
was a problem until the construction of the Caldon Canal which opened to traffic
from its terminus at Froghall in December 1778.
Stone traffic on the canal was extensive with limestone being
brought down a tramroad from the quarries to Froghall basin and
coal along the canal for the various limekilns that were soon established.
The Cheddleton Lime Company, also known as the Caldon Lime Company,
was formed by a partnership of John Gilbert senior,John Gilbert junior, Sampson
Whieldon, Richard Hill and George Smith, who all had links with the Caldon
Low quarries. Cheddleton became a limeburning centre with kilns close to the
Limekilns along the canal were erected at Basford Bridge, Denford,
Stanley Moss, Norton Green, Leek and Consall Forge. Other locations further
afield supplied with Caldon limestone were the kilns at Etruria, Longport
For further details of the canal trade see: 'The Caldon
Canal and Tramroad' by Peter Lead. Published by Oakwood Press in 1990.
If you have any comments please let